1 min read
Squash Lesson Notes
Exercises to practice
- Stand midcourt on one side. Hit a high loop, then drop it using the new technique.
- Aim to practice dropping the ball with no back swing
- Extension: practice hitting a high volley to the back with the same “no backswing” shot
- Practice fast hands by standing close to the front wall and hitting the ball up, then down off of the front wall.
- Practice cutting the ball
- Become familiar with hitting with no backswing
- Using the outside cut
- Dropping the ball by just stretching for it. No back swing
- When volleying both sides, keep the swing shorter and more punchy. Move more slowly to arrive in time for the ball (not before)
- Regardless of which foot you hit off, rotate to ensure you have options to hit both ways.
New dropshot technique
- No backswing
- reach out to touch the ball, then direct it in.
- See Nick Matthew for an example.
- Slightly rotate arm to apply cut